“Internet memes are probably most comparable to viruses. They are dependent on living hosts, have the capacity to infect anything and everything, the ability to evolve, to grow and, most importantly, to spread.”
Counter-narrative mind viruses.
Necessary Components of a Meme
1. Brevity, Brevity, Brevity. BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT. A meme must impact the viewer within seconds with minimal cogitative processing. It should reflect the soul of truth which never requires mental gymnastics. The parables in the Bible are a great example of this. Great memes convey volumes of UNDERSTANDING (not words) through intrinsic truths in concert with universally accessible images.
2. The relationship between text and imagery should be relevant, but it shouldn’t be exactly the same. Both the image and text need to work together to create a quick, impactful viewing experience.
3. While humor is certainly an important aspect of memes, it is not necessarily the deciding factor of what makes a successful, wide-spread meme. Still, I find that humor is often the best avenue for memes as people are so stressed out with the topics memes deal with. It is both a refreshing change and necessary I believe to be able to laugh about these topics.
4. The image needs to be BOLD & CLEAR. When one sees the image, one must immediately know the intention.
5. Ironic memes begin to creep into the territory of edgy or “Dank” memes.
6. Dank memes may center on topics such as 911, Mass Shootings, or the fact that Jeffery Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
7. A good meme should be relatable. You don’t want to base your meme on something with a niche following. You want it to resonate with a ubiquitous tone, vocabulary, font, etc.
8. The more controversial a topic the better candidate it is for meme material.
9. All memes require a factor of trendiness and cultural relevance.
10. Good memes tap into inside jokes really early on. However, it can’t be to “inside” or else it won’t spread throughout the Inter-web.
11. Some memes will follow quickly shifting trend lines and become outdated within days. Other memes are timeless and staples of the online world. (I believe it is the ultimate goal of those who practice Memecraft to aim for the latter.)
12. Some people are meme machines and crank out loads of memes. Like anything else, the more you do it the better you become at it. If you want to become a master at memecraft being relatable, trendy, and prolific is a good start.
[Sauce: https://thephoenixenigma.com/memetics-meme-magick/ ]